[ale] similar weirdness

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Thu May 31 13:45:11 EDT 2007

all the mobos I've looked at recently have IDE and SATA support, so you
should be good there

I've also only ever personally run FC6 (though F7 is due out shortly), and
that was on a batch of elcheapo weekend special Dells - 2.4G celeron
something-or-others with 1 GB RAM.

Never had a problem with any of them.

However, just dropping the drives into the new system may cause some
headaches as hardware may or may not be detected, etc, by the current
install of FC3.

WMM

On 5/31/07, Sean Kilpatrick <drifter at oppositelock.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 31 May 2007 13:02, Warren Myers wrote:
> | what window manager are you running, and which distro?
>
> Running straight KDE on an FC-3 box, which appears to have a
> dieing mobo.
>
> I sent the following letter to ALE earlier this morning, but
> apparently it never got there.

> subject:  mobo question
>
> According to the manual, my ASUS A7N266-VM mobo was made in March, 2002.
>
> Of late it has been having problems finding the BIOS chip and data on
> startup.  (It sometimes stalls for 30 seconds, sometimes for 120 seconds.
>
> Yesterday evening, after being away for more than two weeks, I turned on
> the computer and cleared out the email queue. Then I shut off the monitor
> but left the computer on (usual practice).  This morning the computer
> would
> not display anything on the monitor (normally any input from the mouse or
> the keyboard brings up the desktop).  I had to do a hard shutdown.
>
> Ouch.
>
> I'm thinking this mobo is not long for this world.
>
> So I could use some suggestions for a new mobo.
>
> I don't need the latest cutting edge.  I believe that any new mobo is
> going
> to assume SATA drives.  I am running a two drive software RAID on IDE
> drives
> now.  Can a new mobo handle the older drives so I can just plug them in
> and
> keep going (this assumes Nvidia video) or am I doomed to a clean install
> of
> everything on new drives? Creating a new backup of /home on a USB external
> drive is trivial.
>
> Related question:  assuming I stay with FC, what are the
> advantages/gotchas
> of 32/64-bit chips?
>
> Or do I just give up, buy an all-knew machine, install Linux and wait for
> the next Install Fest to get RAID up and running?
>
> Sean

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erd?s
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2