[ale] remote access to Windows box

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Sat May 19 02:14:12 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-18 at 16:43 -0400, Scott McDonald wrote:

> One of the problems you may run into is your parents fiddling with
> stuff, and breaking anything you have allowed as far as custom windows
> firewall ports to get RDP or VNC etc... working.

I was worried about similar issues when my sister went off to college.
Also, the school blocked all incoming connections to their residence
hall networks. My answer was to use VNC's reverse login feature: the
person whose computer you want to control connects to you. Here are
links to two different implementations

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2007/04/05/free-and-easy-remote-access-with-vnc-reverse-connections/
http://lifehacker.com/software/vnc/geek-to-live-tech-support-with-ultravnc-singleclick-198532.php

-Brian