[ale] sed

tom tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Fri May 18 13:08:18 EDT 2007

Well, prior to DOS and edlin, I managed to write a dissertation using the
SOS editor and roff on an overloaded PDP-10. Getting that printed out on a
daisy wheel terminal was _painfull_, since even at three or four in the
morning you couldn't ensure more than four or five pages being typed
without error at a time with student priveledges. I had to request being
upgraded to a minor system level to finish the job. (Even then, I needed
to work in the depths of the night so the system load didn't overwhelm my
efforts).

FWIW, the SOS editor was a line editor so named because it was "Son Of
Sam", and I have no idea what the "Sam" editor was like. I must have been
awfully primitive. I did have the oportunity to learn TECO at one point,
but never got around to it.

Thankfully I had a full screen editor on my H-89 CP/M machine, although I
don't remember the name now. Still used a roff clone for my word
processing tho...

On Fri, 18 May 2007, Jeff Lightner wrote:

> Another old geezer gasps in:  I remember doing edlin on DOS.  Nothing
> like an editor where you can only see one line at a time - talk about
> being careful on your edits...

>>> w
>>> q