[ale] Q: Alternate network setups in SuSE-10.x

Bob Toxen transam at verysecurelinux.com
Fri May 11 13:00:25 EDT 2007

1. Install Slackware

2. Edit /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 to test the status return from the DHCP
   client daemon.  If it fails set the IP address and GW (gateway).
   Piece of cake.

I've done this for my laptop with the reverse order.  It starts with
a static IP, does a single ping to a server on the network.  If no
response it pings my main desktop.  If no luck there either, it
invokes DHCP.

Of course if you're not using Slackware you'll need to edit the
appropriate script, probably rc.network.

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]

"Microsoft: Unsafe at any clock speed!"