[ale] Weird characters in Interface file

Björn Gustafsson bg-ale at bjorng.net
Thu May 10 10:18:35 EDT 2007

On 5/10/07, K B <kboateng_cs at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I have a program that writes data to a file. I put a debug statement to
> print the data right before it writes to this file. The program writes ? and
> ? to the file. But when i open the file, the characters shows ?3 for the ?
> character and ?i for ? characters. Any ideas how this is happening?

It's a character-set compatibility issue.  You are writing the file
with some kind of Unicode character set, but then opening it with an
application that interprets it as ISO8859-1 or similar.

Depending on where you think the problem is, you need to either change
the way the data is written or use a different tool to view the
output.