[ale] Syncing two machines

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Thu May 3 13:41:52 EDT 2007

Resend.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [ale] Syncing two machines
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 14:13:27 -0400
From: Brian Pitts <brian at polibyte.com>
To: ale at ale.org
To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>

Jay Goodman wrote:
>   I switched to unison (available in most distros, or just google it).
> The setup is a bit more intense then whipping out a simple rsync command,
> but unison will do conflict resolution by merging, obeying a master, or
> asking depending how you set up your sync sets.  If I remember correctly,
> it even uses rsync under its clothes.

I use unison to keep directories on several machines in sync. Both the
command-line and gui versions are very intuitive. It does a great job of
conflict resolution and uses the same algorithm as rsync to transfer
only the different parts of files. It also fails gracefully if your
network connection is interrupted or some other error occurs. Oh, and it
even works on that other OS.

-Brian