[ale] Comcast speeds

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 15:00:03 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 12:37 -0400, cfowler wrote:

> Here is an idea.  What happens if you try and steal that IP?  If you
> are
> assigned a DHCP address and you set as static in your device is their
> DHCP server dumb enough to try and assign another person that address?
> That is the way it works on Ethernet.  Their system may see this and
> simply turn off your connection until you respond to DHCP messages.

They would probably turn off your cable modem the moment they discover
that there is an IP Address conflict on the network and pinpoint where
it is coming from.  I haven't run into that situation yet here, but once
in Toledo, OH, we had a static IP address (assigned by the cable
provider) and a power outage.  After the power was restored to the
entire area, someone else had gotten our IP address?without a DHCP
server handing it out?and we got our address back when the DHCP server
came back up (which happened shortly after the power came back).  In any
case, they disabled the cable modem of the person who stole the IP
address, until they called in to have it turned back on.  :-)

    -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!