[ale] How do I get to run level 3? Ubuntu 6.10

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Thu Mar 29 09:39:10 EDT 2007

James P. Kinney III wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 17:45 -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 17:18 -0400, Jeff Lightner wrote:
>>
>>> Even if it were "designated" that way by the powers that be for your
>>> favorite distro you could still control it by putting in whatever you
>>> want at the various run levels.  You could everything at run level 2 if
>>> you wanted.
>>>
>> runlevel 2 is multiuser+GUI on every default desktop install of Debian,
>> Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and Edubuntu.
>>

>>> People might look at you funny but what the heck
>>>
>> Who looks funny now, rpm based distros?  RPM has always seemed funny to
>> me. ;-)
>>
>> -Jim P.  (let the distro wars begin!)
>>

> I'm _really_ not fanning the distro wars embers here but:
>
> It seems odd that there would not be a defined runlever in a Debian
> based distro that is networked and multi-user but not X. That is the
> most common configuration for a production server.
>
> Ah! I just reread the line where it said "default desktop install". Now
> that makes sense on the why of running X by default.
>
> <flame suit on> RedHat and derivatives figured out a long time ago all
> they have to do is set the default runlevel to 3 for server and use 5
> for desktops. Then they don't have to hack the entire inittab file
> </flame suit on>
>
> :)
>
> It seems more complicated to me to have hacked up the runlevels on a
> desktop setup so that everything run X.

I agree, but if you think that's complicated, you should take a look at
what they did to exim!

Don't get me wrong, before there were distros, I had to roll my own with
a boot/root floppy set from HJ Liu.  I discovered Debian while Bruce was
running the show.  I have a set of gold CDs that he burned personally!
Serial numbered even.  And I ran Debian for many years.  It's just been
recently I've branched out into other Distos.  I never paid much
attention to what run level did what WRT Debian et al until now.

Jim.