[ale] How do I get to run level 3? Ubuntu 6.10

Brian Pitts bpitts at learnlink.emory.edu
Wed Mar 28 14:23:35 EDT 2007

Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts wrote:

> I guess I could killall X but what's the use of run levels if they don't
> work as expected? Am I missing something?

I'm not sure there is a point to runlevels anymore. The concept should
eventually disappear as https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReplacementInit is adopted.

Anyway, "sudo invoke-rc.d gdm stop" will stop X. I didn't need to do
this when I installed nvidia drivers in 6.10; "sudo aptitude install
nvidia-glx"worked fine. 7.04 makes it even easier with the restricted
driver manager; there's a screenshot at
http://sinopop.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/screenshot-restricted-drivers.png

-Brian