[ale] Best Buy acquiring Speakeasy

Steve Brown braino420 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 18:25:01 EDT 2007

Mike Harrison wrote:
>It's easy to pick on Geek Squad.. a bunch of young kids getting paid
>little to take care of the most mundane of end-users. But I've also seen
>some sharp local kids who grew up and have done well since their 'Squad
>days.. Just 'cause they are working for the 'Squad.. don't hate them
>personally. at least, not -all- of them.

For me, it's really not about the people that work there (although I could
rant on that for a while, the whole crew cut in front of me in line for the
XBOX360 launch DISCLAIMER: I'm a poor college student, I sold that joker for
a quick buck) but it's about the price. Do you know how much they charge to
install a sound card? More than the sound card is worth, that's for sure. I
once interviewed there, and the manager was telling me about how I can't
tell the customer simply how to install the hardware they buy, I have to
direct them to the Geek Squad. When I left, I felt very dirty. I know that's
how business is, but I don't want people to feel like I feel when going to a
car mechanic: easy victim.

As for the winders vista topic, my mom bought a new laptop with it
pre-installed. She asked me if I had a book on how to use it.... I noticed a
few things immediately when I used it: you know the generic on/off button?
The circle with a line through it? I bet you think that shuts the computer
off don't you, well it doesn't in vista. Then I was simply copying some
family pics to my thumbdrive and it kept popping up some cryptic message in
hex. When I hit retry (you know, retry the one file with the error), it
started the whole copy operation over again. Anyway, thats enough of that.

-SteveB