[ale] Firewall/VPN solutions

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 02:26:42 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 08:42 -0400, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:

> I'm looking for some suggestions on a turn-key firewall/vpn solution
> that provides multi-OS client support. I used to consider Sonicwall in
> that category but their recent versions only support Windows with
> limit
> Mac and absolutely zero Linux support. I'm fairly certain Cisco can
> support all three but looking for all possible solutions I might have
> overlooked.

I am not sure if this will help you at all, but I have been looking for
a VPN solution for something I want to do, and it seems that OpenVPN
would serve my needs quite well; it provides a full VPN setup that is
relatively easy to configure (GNOME can configure the client side
automatically), and it uses the well-known and trusted SSL mechanism for
protecting the tunnel itself.  The server uses a configuration file, and
there are several options for making it work--ranging from using PAM to
authenticate to full client-side SSL certificates that authenticate to
the VPN server.

I am only testing it so far myself, but it seems to be the only solution
that would work for what I am doing, other than perhaps an SSH VPN--but
I'm not so sure on that one.  It would likely work, but I think I would
have to code a lot more for it, and OpenVPN is available as a package,
just like the SSH server is (at least on Ubuntu).

    ? Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!