[ale] Firewall/VPN solutions

H. A. Story adrin at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 26 21:14:26 EDT 2007

Sonicwall is web server driven.  How they can support Windows and not
any other they would have to be referring to the plugins.  You can
google around and have the logs saved on your Linux machine.  Have you
tired accessing an old firmware unit with IE 7?  Not fun.

I have started playing with IPCop recently.   You can take a cheap (<
800MHz Machine) and do VPN. IPCop works with Sonic Wall.  Just make sure
you have an updated firmware.  We had a sonicwall that would not stop
rebooting.

Something that bothers me with some of the off the self units.  You are
licensed for a number of IP addresses on the LAN and VPN tunnels.  You
want to have more than 5 or 10 machines?  You have to pay the piper.
And if you are not setting up blocked domains or subscribing to a
service then they seem only a little better than an off the self $49.99
DSL router.

Adrin