[ale] I almost have sendmail working but for one slight problem

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Mon Mar 26 10:45:06 EDT 2007

I have a half dozen systems scattered about and have never gotten any of
the RH variety to be able to use sendmail (or any of the other mailers)
to send using my bellsouth connection.  I finally bit the bullet and
found a web site that discussed how to do it.  It didn't work but I was
able to figure out most of the problems, however the last one has me
stumped.

I can make mail -S test jim at somewhere.net from the command line as long
as the hostname of the system I'm on is
adsl-065-xxx-xxx-xxx.sip.asm.bellsouth.net.  However I'd like to be able
to mail from more than one system in the group and I really want to name
them something meaningful and don't want them all the same.

If I don't have the host name then I get errors like:

stat=Data format error
and
Mar 26 10:41:15 devel sendmail[23673]: l2QEfFXI023670: l2QEfFXH023673:
DSN: Data
 format error

The only difference in the logs is the senders address, it seems:
Mar 26 10:41:15 devel sendmail[23673]: l2QEfFXH023673:
to=<jim at devel.localdomain
 >, delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=local, pri=31618, dsn=2.0.0,
stat=Sen

So is there a way to tell sendmail my host name is that horrible adsl
line but leave the system hostname alone?

Thanks,
Jim