[ale] Trouble with a sound card on Ubuntu 6.10.

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Wed Mar 21 09:05:07 EDT 2007

Jim wrote:
> I was never able to get sound or the printer working right on my wife's
> system with her old, tired system, so I gave her an ASUS, AMD box that
> I'd been running Debian on quite successfully.  I scrubbed a new disk
> and installed Ubuntu Edgy.  The sound doesn't work.  I went googling and
> found a suggested fix that included installing the via82cxxx_audio
> module.  I tried that and:
>
> root at sue-desktop:~# find /lib/modules/ -name via82cxxx_audio.ko | xargs
> ls -l
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 29062 2006-12-05 17:47
> /lib/modules/2.6.17-10-generic/kernel/sound/oss/via82cxxx_audio.ko
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 29062 2007-02-01 15:11
> /lib/modules/2.6.17-11-generic/kernel/sound/oss/via82cxxx_audio.ko
> root at sue-desktop:~# modprobe via82cxxx_audio
> FATAL: Module via82cxxx_audio not found.
> root at sue-desktop:~# uname -r
> 2.6.17-11-generic
>
> I'm very confused.  Lsmod doesn't mention it, so it's not already
> installed. It's not in the /etc/modprobe.d/arch/i386 file.
>
> So why doesn't modprobe (or insmod) find the module?

OK I'm going to rant for a bit.

<rant>
This motherboard is the biggest POS I've ever encountered.  Only once
have I ever gotten audio to work on it.  XP won't even play it and the
asus site is so broken you can't get to the drivers any longer.  To get
audio working I finally installed a soundblaster live board.

When I first got the board, I attempted to put my 30 Gb drive in it.  No
dice.  It never would recognize that it existed.  Ditto for a generic
CDROM drive.  I moved the 30 Gb to a different system and copied the
partitions to an 80 Gb  drive which the board liked.

I decided to replace this system with a new one from Fry's and replace
my wife's system with this one.  I've fought for two days to get the
audio working, but before that, I was unable to get this MB (emphasis on
mudder, should be called MFB) to recognize the 8 Gb disk with my wife's
files.  Once Linux was booted, it was usable, however it would stop at
the bios step and say there was a primary slave failure every time.

I'm gonna save my pennies up to buy her a new MB and I'm going to take
this into the woods with my 12 gauge!

Yes, the bios is the most recent one  available.