[ale] Kernel panic?

James Smith feenix at feenix.us
Tue Mar 20 19:44:29 EDT 2007

I am trying to get the laptop  wireless to work in Ubuntu. I am using
the directions on:

It works fine till I get the driver in place. I get to step 4 fine. Step
4b doesn't work unless i am typing it wrong.

* 4B ) Extract your Cards firmware from the driver*
Just to be safe we'll put the driver in the kernel folder too

Code:

sudo bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/`uname -r` ~/Desktop/wl_apsta.o

Step 5 is installing gnome network manage. In the middle of the install
it locks. When I bring the computer back up (recovery mode) I get the
following:

[17179595.884000] <0>Kernel panic - not syncing : fatal exception in
interrupt
[17179595.896000]

Once I can figure out to get my wireless going this dell is going open
source.

James Smith