[ale] Converting DVD to ipod video format

Brian Pitts bpitts at learnlink.emory.edu
Mon Mar 19 10:33:57 EDT 2007

Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've been looking for information/tutorials and linux applications to
> convert my existing dvds to ipod video.  I haven't  really found
> anything exceptionally helpful.  Currently I am using my wifes xp
> computer to do the conversions.  The tools I am currently using are
> "DVD Decrypter" to rip the dvds and "Videora" to convert to ipod
> format ( h.264).  Can anyone help me find linux replacements for these
> tools and help find documentation on how to use them.

Here's a list of programs I'd made previously that you may find helpful.

GUI Programs for working with video in linux

Importing from DV Camera:
Kino

Nonlinear Editing:
Kino
Kdenlive
Lives

Linear Editing:
Avidemux

Rip DVD (computer as final destination)
Acidrip (uses mencoder)
dvd::rip (uses transcode)

Rip and "shrink" (requanticize) DVD for burning
xdvdshrink (uses transcode)
K9copy (uses vamps)
ldvd (website seems down)
StreamDVD