[ale] fair tax

Matt Kubilus mattkubilus at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 12:15:00 EDT 2007

> Determining what the "necessities of life" are and how much they cost is up to
> the politicians, hopefully with input from the Census bureau and various industries.

Shudders.  They are so good at determining a liveable minimum wage,
I'm sure they'll be great with keeping up with the cost of, and
determining the nature of, the 'necessities of life'.

You cannot give an impoverished family one big check at the begining
of the year.  This is the biggest problem I see with 'fair'tax scheme.
 What do you choose: shoes for jimmy (the bubble gum holding them
together ain't working so well), bread for dinner, or oh crap Lisa
just broke her arm and you ain't got insurance.  What do you choose,
which one do you fix, how do you plan for a year of crisis when your
budget is on a knife's edge?  And that's for the honest working below
poverty family, I don't expect many here to relate to this, but exists
in large numbers in our country.

What about the darker side of poverty, I gaurantee that you will see a
huge spike in  drug use and crime at about the same time every year
with this plan.   'Hey joe homeless who get run out of the mental
institue, here's a big check, have fun!!!'

The prebate check is irresponsible.  Increase the liveable minimum
wage, 0 taxes on food, and you might actual get me to agree on some
fair-tax points.

-Matt