[ale] RHEL 5 is out

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 16:47:49 EDT 2007

On 3/15/07, Jeffrey C. Lightner <jlightner at water.com> wrote:
> Perhaps I'm a bit of a pessimist but I'm thinking this may simply be a
> precursor to M$ coming up with a way of insuring Vista ONLY works in
> this virtualization model and not in others.

Nothing in the Roadmap about Vista (nor XP, Win2003, etc.), but there
is about Longhorn / XEN.

Enlightened Windows Server "Longhorn" on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
10 with Xen Technology

Novell is working with Microsoft to enable the hosting of Windows
Longhorn Server (available in the second half of 2007) on Xen
hypervisor technology. SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 is the first
enterprise platform to include a fully integrated and supported
version of the Xen 3.0 hypervisor, the emerging open source standard
for virtualization services. With the Xen code and management tools
that ship as part of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10, organizations
can run multiple operating systems on the same physical server with
minimal performance impact. As a result, they can significantly
increase server utilization, reduce server sprawl and lower costs.

As part of the new agreement with Microsoft, Novell is developing a
translation layer that fully implements the Windows Server
Virtualization guest OS interface on top of Xen by mapping the Xen
hypercalls (hypervisor system calls) onto Windows Server
virtualization hypercalls. An I/O adapter similarly maps the
infrastructure for hosting front-end drivers written to the Microsoft
hypervisor environment to run on a Xen based platform. These efforts
will allow the Xen hypervisor in SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 to
host an enlightened deployment of Windows Longhorn Server.
<<

Admittedly nothing in the above talks about GPL, etc. but I'm happy to
see that Novell/Microsoft are going to get XEN / Longhorn working
together.  We'll find out if its GPL or sold as a commercial license
by the end of the year I guess.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer