[ale] RHEL 5 is out

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 11:24:59 EDT 2007

On 3/15/07, Jim Popovitch <jimpop at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 10:47 -0400, Jeff Lightner wrote:
> > For commercial stuff I'll stick with RH over Suse since at least they
> > haven't sold out to M$.
>
> :-) I've sworn to never go with either of them personally.
>
> -Jim P.

Stirring the pot, but what do you guys think about the below part of
the latest Novell / MS roadmap.

Copied from page 5/6 of http://www.moreinterop.com/tca-roadmap.pdf

Personally I like it a lot and it would not have come about without
the Novell/MS contract.

+++
Virtualization Management
The first data center automation solutions from Novell and Microsoft
manage compute and storage servers on behalf of applications or
services hosted in virtual machines.

Novell Data Center Management Solutions
The "brain" of Novell data center management is Novell ZENworks(r)
Orchestrator. It allows for policy-based automation across
heterogeneous environments. ZENworks Orchestrator takes a heuristic
approach, continually learning from previous events and resource
demands.

Virtual machine management is critical to efficiently implementing
virtualization in the data center and achieving a solid return on
investment. Novell ZENworks Virtual Machine Management provides the
following heterogeneous virtual machine management capabilities:
? Provides lifecycle management of VMware*, Xen and Microsoft virtual machines
? Discovers servers for virtual machine commissioning
? Discovers offline and online virtual machines
? Provides deployment, redeployment and rollback of virtual machines
? Manages physical, virtual and storage compute nodes
? Features cluster-aware virtualization
? Includes policy-based dynamic workload deployment

Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager
Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager (available in the
second half of 2007) is a standalone server application that manages
virtualized data centers running either Virtual Server or Windows
virtualization. Virtual Machine Manager is tightly integrated in the
System Center family of products, and together they provide
comprehensive management of physical and virtual environments. Upon
its release, Virtual Machine Manager will also be able to centrally
manage Linux* guests. Organizations can use it to:
? Deploy Linux VMs in VHD format from the central library
? Configure the virtual machine parameters for Linux VMs, such as RAM
and disk space
? Control the state of the virtual machine (start/stop, pause/resume
and save/restore)
? Live migrate a running Linux VM from one physical host to another

Virtual Machine Manager provides IT professionals with a simple and
cost-effective solution for consolidating underutilized physical
servers to virtual machines. In addition, it enables rapid
provisioning of new virtual servers, centralizes management, and takes
advantage of standard hardware and file-level storage.
+++

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer