[ale] VM ?

Jonathan Rickman jrickman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 17:39:49 EDT 2007

> How much memory do you reserve for the host?  Does the host need much?
>
> If I have a server with 4GB memory I would like to segment 512mb for
> each VM.  Is it realistic that I could get 7VMs at 512mb each and simply
> leave 512mb for the host?

You could do it, but it wouldn't run that well on VMWare Server. You might
stick to 4 machines on that box for good performance. However, on ESX you
could do this easily. If all the VMs are running the same OS and you have
VMWare tools installed, you can over commit RAM. For example, I have an ESX
server with 8 GB and it runs 2 Win2k VMs allocated 4 GB each, one Win2k3 VM
allocated 1GB, and 1 CentOS 4.4 VM allocated 1GB. The two Win2k machines
share pages of RAM for common components.

ESX is a different beast entirely, and worth every penny you pay for it. If
there's anyone out there laboring under the impression that Xen and other
competitors are even playing the same sport, much less in the same league,
you should really read up on it and disabuse yourself of that notion as soon
as possible.

--
Jonathan