[ale] VM ?

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 16:20:42 EDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-03-11 at 14:33 -0400, Brian Pitts wrote:

> I would expect worse than that. I haven't tried it since Win2000, but
> that OS definitely wouldn't boot if you changed motherboards. The
> main
> problem is the IDE controller driver, I think.

Sure it does.  I used to cart my Win2k install around on a portable IDE
case?you know, those cases that plug into the internal IDE/power, and
let you pull the hard drive out and go to another computer with it?
Every time I'd visited a computer with new hardware in it (which usually
meant a completely different type of system), it would boot up, detect
and install hardware devices, and reboot.  Sometimes it would take up to
four reboots the first time on a new system, but it worked.  I never ran
into the problem of it not booting on a system.

Then again, this was before Microsoft started coming up with "Hey, let's
check devices and use that as a means to force people to not have
convenient lives!"  This was a drive that I was using between school and
home, too, and I sure didn't have anything close to the systems that
they had at school at the time.  :-)

Such functionality might have been disabled in later service packs for
Win2k, though.  It would be consistent with Microsoft's behaviors.

    ? Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!