[ale] Lousy Performance with ATI board with Ubuntu

Jeff Tillotson ale at jeffx.com
Tue Mar 6 13:47:42 EST 2007

I made a commitment to myself last weekend to use only open source
software at home.  So I handed off the iBook to the girlfriend and
installed Ubuntu 6.10 on my IBM Thinkpad T42.  I have run various linux
distributions on desktop and laptops before but I am very happy with
Ubuntu. As much as I love it I think I can love it a little bit more if
I could get beryl running.

Does anyone know if the ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 M10 has performance
issues?  I have the driver installed:

jefft at ironman:~$ fglrxinfo
display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: MOBILITY RADEON 9600 Generic
OpenGL version string: 2.0.6011 (8.28.8)

However, fgl_glxgears only shows around a 430 fps rate.  I was expecting
to see a lot better rate than that.  So is there any known issues with
the performance with this card under Ubuntu?  Has anyone had this
problem before?

Other than that, I couldn't be more pleased with how this system runs.

Jeff