[ale] Microsoft Windows ousted at California school district

Tom Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Mar 1 22:56:09 EST 2007

On 03/01/2007 04:00:52 PM, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 15:02 -0500, Jeff Lightner wrote:
> > Politics is easy ? Management often does what they perceive as
> > ?cheapest? not ?best?.
<<snip a pretty good story of corporate life>>
  > capital cost ?savings?.
>
> Wow.
>
> It's interesting, because usually, the best solution is the least
> expensive solution, at least in the long run.  Why do people look for
> the quick fix and not the long term solution?

I suspect lots of reasons. Partly human frailty, partly human
cussedness, and lots of I don't know.

I've gone with the cheap solution on occasion because of a lack of cash
flow. My girlfriend's whole family is afraid to spend money (cash),
which given their family history is reasonable (long period without
sufficient income growing up). And lots of management seems to like
cash in their pocket now, and maybe the future will be ok. Or maybe
they will sell the company, who knows.

I have one friend who spent his early career in smaller chemical
companies.  Most of the processes were run with bailing wire and glue
using some sort of lashup and held together by force of will. He had
difficulties adjusting to a larger concern where there was sufficient
cash to purchase equipment (or enough bodies to fire to raise some
money).

Guess the bottom line amounts to a complicated mix of motives with no
single reason dominant. YMMV of course.