[ale] VM ? (addendum: without windows licenses?)

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 12:02:41 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 11:37 -0500, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:

> I was taking online courses at a community college back in CA as well
> as working on my Bachelors degree through University of Phoenix. Both
> stated Windows was required; however, I got through the classes fine
> without it. If I absolutely needed IE there's always running IE6
> through Wine. To write my papers I actually used LaTeX's PDF processor
> with an APA document class. My Java programming class actually worked
> out better running Linux than Windows as most of the other students
> were forever in reboot cycles while I kept on working.

I have been avoiding the use of Windows for almost a year at WIU.  I am
still stuck with using OpenOffice.org, though, because they require that
papers be in .DOC format (part of their "commitment to academic honesty"
is using some software that looks for plagiarism in MS Word files), math
assignments must be in .DOC format with embedded items from Microsoft
Equation Editor (which OOo doesn't seem to export so well, according to
my math teacher).  I suspect that my own Java class that will be
upcoming will be just fine without the presence of Windows, though, and
I only intend on using it for the two math classes that I am presently
in.  If I could afford to just suck up the expense of starting over at
another college, that would definitely be an option for me.  Alas, I
cannot afford to do that.

    ? Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!