[ale] BellSouth/ATT DSL

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at ike2.room17.com
Sun Jun 24 22:57:12 EDT 2007

On 06/24/2007 03:16:11 PM, Brian wrote:
> Thompson Freeman wrote:
> > My girlfriend decided that she wanted internet access at
> home,
> > and chose the $10/month dsl now offered from BellSouth/ATT.
> Of
> > course, I get to set it up, and of course I'm working on
> getting
> > things set up for Linux (Ubuntu specifically, as I think a
> > Fedora setup would be a little heavier maintenence and I'm
> > having challenges with F7 at the moment). BellSouth has
> provided
> > a lovely little Westell modem/router which I get setup with
> my
> > ancient laptop with Windows2000. Attempting to convert to her
>
> > machine seems associated with loss of the dsl link, but I'm
> not
> > ready to claim that strongly in public.
>
> So, you're saying that if you connect the Win2000 laptop you
> can access
> the internet, but if you connect the Ubuntu one you can't?
>
> My suspicion is that the
> > link loss is further up the chain, but again I cann't prove
>
> > that. I can find the modem/router with a web browser at
> > http://192.168.1.1:80, although I of course do not have a
> > password for the interface.
>
> I don't think modifying the settings requires authentication.
>
> The interface does show things setup
> > correctly tho.
>
> If that web interface shows a connection, then you didn't lose
> the link.
>
> I have quickly searched the web for documentation
> > on the modem/router and come up quite dry. (I left my notes
> over
> > at her place, or I'd note the model number here - sorry, but
> my
> > bad)
> >
> > I should note that my initial installation of Ubuntu7.04 has
> > glitch in it also, further complicating things.
>
> What do you mean?

Well, when I gave up, I couldn't log in to her user account, but
I could boot with the rescue boot (or what ever Ubuntu is
calling booting to root for emergency repairs). It was getting
late, and I dropped things about that point. With one ethernet
cable on hand, I didn't want to dig around behind the computer
to release the cable, check the connection with the laptop, and
stand on my head again to get the cable back where it belonged.
I wanted to get to bed/sleep.

FWIW, I don't think the model/router light pattern indicated a
dsl link at that time, but I was getting _really_ fuzzy by then.

> Could you send to the list the contents of
>
> ifconfig
> netstat -nr
> cat /etc/resolv.conf
> arp -a
> sudo dhclient eth0
> ping -bc 4 255.255.255.255
>
> run on the ubuntu machine and
>
> ipconfig /all
>
> run on the Win200 machine when they are each connected to the
> modem/router?

Assuming further difficulty tomorrow, I'll copy the above notes
to the list. From the comments by Jim Phillips and aaron and
yourself, I'm thinking most of the challenge is middle of the
night fuzz with two different issues showing up at the same time
(BellSouth dsl and my challenge with the Ubuntu install).
Tomorrow should tell.

My thanks to all of you. I'm feeling much better about the whole
project again.