[ale] OT: slightly

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Sat Jun 23 16:39:19 EDT 2007

I need help/advice in an attempt to through something together that'll
work in a mixed environment. It's something to help my wife in her job
as an independent contractor to the Early Intervention Program in
Gwinnett. As nobody in the program is too sure as to the future of how
things are going to operate or not, I don't want to invest a lot of time
in it and I ain't got da' money to pay for anything. A clue to the
future is think back to the last Gubernatorial campaign ads, anyone
remember one of Taylor's ads showing an Adaptive Wheelchair empty
sitting in a dark room? Well that's what is currently happening to the
program. Sonny says all is well, the contracted agencies for the state
are making money. Well, yeh, they collect money from the state and hold
off paying service providers. More speech therapists, physical
therapists, etc are leaving the program because they are accumalating
expenses in providing these services to clients and not getting paid.

Well sorry for the rant, on to my problem. I have started to help my
wife with the billing side and have noticed that there are several steps
that could be bypassed by a fairly simple app. She currently enters all
her info into spreadsheets, that she is always having to manually
reformat due to the inflexibility of this method. She currently uses
about 3 or 4 different templates for these reports/files. Then the two
of us have to sit at our PCs (her's Windoze, mine FC6)while shee reads
me dates and clients so that I can reenter this data into my
spreadsheets for billing.

I started with OpeneOffice Base using the wizard to design the tables
and then the forms. I can't seem to design a form that will allow me to
enter data into a secondary table while displaying a record in the
priamary table. What I came up with is the primary table is basically a
modified address book. One secondary table is probably like an item
record in an inventory db, while the other is similar but, has more
fields with the possibility of adding some logic to the form design. The
relations would be in each case many records in the secondary table
relating to one record in the primary.

I think I have the db structure ok, but it's the form and report parts
that seem to be the problem.(?) If anyone can advise I'll be more than
glad to send you more details off list.

TIA