[ale] Heya folks! Any suggestions for a geek moving to/near, Atlanta?

Daniel Howard dhhoward at comcast.net
Sun Jun 10 08:10:33 EDT 2007

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 19:26:34 -0700
> From: "Brian Schenken" <brian.schenken at gmail.com>
> Subject: [ale] Heya folks! Any suggestions for a geek moving to/near
> 	Atlanta?
> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering if you locals might recommend areas that a geeky family
> should (or shouldn't) consider settling down in.  Proximity to a Fry's
> is a consideration - so Duluth sounds kewl.  My wife and I are gamers
> (kids aren't old enough yet), so an area with an active LAN community
> would be awesome....  Of course good schools and activities for the
> kids are important.

Hi Brian,

I'd look for homes near the best schools since you have kids and stay
intown to avoid traffic and be able to sell your home at a significant
profit when you retire or change jobs.  Any of the north atlanta public
elementary schools (Morris Brandon, Sarah Smith, Warren Jackson) are
basically like a free private school, and you'll save yourself $14,000
per year tuition per kid. Brandon is completely Linux now, and is where
my daughter goes, but I understand Sarah Smith is headed that way.
Morningside Elementary is also converted to Linux and an excellent
school, but huge (over 1000 students).  Each of the Linux schools have a
2:1 student to PC ratio in the classrooms, and since they're running
Linux now, it just works, and as a result, they've really integrated
technology into the instruction so that the kids spend a lot more time
developing content instead of working the mechanics of things like
creative writing.  The above elementary schools feed either Sutton
Middle School or Inman Middle school, probably the two best in Atlanta
(Sutton usually wins the annual Math Counts competition of middle
schools held at Ga Tech, e.g.).  By the time your kids get to high
school, North Atlanta (whose new principal also wants to switch to
Linux) should be a viable option as well as the demographics and quality
there are rapidly changing, but at this time most of the parents whose
kids attended the north atlanta elementary schools switch them to
private school either in middle school or no later than high school.

Best elementary school in Dekalb is Vanderlyn Elementary, they were
second in the state last year on standardized test scores.  Don't know
much about the middle school it feeds into, tho'.

You'll either pay a lot more for the home, or get a smaller one, but
proximity to work intown and excellent schools makes it worth it in my
opinion, and with the Beltline project, you'll be able to walk/bike
anywhere inside the perimeter (I-285) using mass transit and the new
system they've proposed.  But your kids will thank you for the rest of
their lives if you get them near a great school.

HTH,
Daniel

--
Daniel Howard