[ale] Heya folks! Any suggestions for a geek moving to/near Atlanta?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 00:02:48 EDT 2007

We have a lot of lanes on the interstates in the metro area. And they
still get packed. On my way back from Michigan last month I
encountered the Indianapolis version of traffic. They have a maximum
of three lanes in the middle of downtown. I think I came to a full
stop once, and I was through the city, and out of traffic, within
twenty minutes. On my way to Michigan, I spent an hour going twenty
miles on I-285N; it has at least five lanes. Almost twice the capacity
and still not enough. We have a LOT of people on the road here in
Atlanta. And people cutting across five or seven lanes of traffic
because they've reached their exit doesn't help. Why won't they change
lanes a mile or two ahead of time? WHY?

Possibly the best way to explain Atlanta traffic is the student film A
Meditation on the Speed Limit --
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1B-Ox0ZmVIU . The bridge scene at 3'40" is
awesome.

--