[ale] Problem with Evolution's subject line containing apostrophe's

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 15:08:59 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 14:13 -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> Dude you rock!  I take back everything I ever said about you using
> HTML
> email.  :-)  I can't imagine how you came up with the info above, but
> your insight and explanation are much appreciated.  Thanks!

Thanks.  :)

I have been looking into many of the quirks and instabilities of
Evolution for a while, and recently decided that I would make an attempt
at creating a mail client designed to replace Evolution, be smaller than
Evolution, and be cross-platform so that it would run in many more
places than Evolution does.  However, the project is quite overwhelming
to me because I am not what I would call a "seasoned" programmer.

But, I am frustrated enough with current mail clients (both terminal and
GUI-based) that I am willing to expend however much effort for however
long a time to try to remedy the situation.  I am kinda sick and tired
of the various ways clients do not follow the standards that are
available?particularly on the Internet, where clients tend to assume
things like "Who needs anything other than ASCII?" when it is entirely
useful to have Unicode support, if for no other reason than to
transliterate the Unicode to something that is representable in a
terminal that doesn't support Unicode output.

I hadn't gotten to reading RFC2047 just yet when you'd sent this message
to the list; I was still working on chewing up RFC2822.  But, I'd
recalled reading that MIME was what handled the conversion process
to<-->from ASCII and other character sets, so it was just a small amount
of searching since I had a vague idea of what I was looking for.  I am
glad that it was helpful.  And yes, I am trying to stay away from using
UTF-8 e-mail on the list still... if for no other reason than the
brokenness of clients that don't know how to handle it yet.  (Though, I
find Evolution's handling of this to be somewhat ironic... Mono, which
comes from the same people, is all about using Unicode and other
character sets, and yet Evolution seems to be brain-dead in that area
when it comes to anything but ASCII and UTF-8.  I don't even think it
appropriately flags messages with UTF-8 as using that encoding, but I
could be wrong... I haven't gotten that deep into the way it works just
yet.)

    --- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
           michael.trausch at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
           michael.trausch at gmail.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!
Support free speech---it is the most valuable freedom we have!