[ale] Clock problems with two SuSE setups

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Mon Jun 4 12:23:04 EDT 2007

Jeff -

Thanks for the note.

My systems that regularly use 'ntpdate' have no problems - those are the
ones reliably connected to the InterNet, and rarely restarted (including
one desktop running SuSE-10.1).

On the laptops I only run my 'ntpdate' script manually from the
command-line when I have a suitable net connection. For example, my laptop
(reset from an NTP server) showed correct time, and agreement between
system and hardware clocks at 12:08:xx EDT. I then rebooted the system and
it came up with system and hardware clocks in agreement at 11:55:xx. That
suggests the hardware clock lost about 15 minutes over whatever part of
the reboot cycle it was unmanaged, blitzed, or whatever.

Slippage of the hardware clock on this unit was of the order of a few
minutes per month, at worst. In fact the 'ntpdate' script is a recent
addition I added _because_ the hardware clock had apparently become
useless.

Further, the hardware and system clocks stay reasonably in synch after
they are reset.

One example systems: I suspect hardware failure. Two example systems,
starting at about the same time: I suspect administrative, configuration,
or software problem. Trauma somewhere!

 - Mills