[ale] ext3 formatted USB disks

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Sun Jun 3 21:47:39 EDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-06-03 at 21:26 -0400, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
> 	I've put it up on my personal wiki page[1] if you're interested. As I
> recall it was fairly similar steps as per the URL you mentioned. It is
> written from documenting how I prepared my USB drives that I handle my
> GPG keys. I've still not finished putting everything into the document
> but it's fairly complete enough to get the USB drive working.

It worked much better under FC7 than FC6.  I will try Xubuntu 7.04
tomorrow.

In FC6 Gnome would prompt me for a password and that would get it
registered but mounting failed.  I could click on Computer->55GB Disk
and nothing would happen.  I had to go into a xterm and type
sudo mount /dev/mapper/luks.... /mnt to get to my files.

In FC7 Gnome asks for a password and then I get a nautilus popup showing
me the files on that disk.  Works great!

I've not thought much about ding this in the past but I have gotten a
little skittish after I thought I lost a USB flash drive.  I have a
small collection of those things and I have so many home directories
that it has been easier just to store many of my files there.  I'm
normally the only person that accesses those files.  I'll encrypt it too
but keep a unencrypted one to get files from Windoze users.