[ale] Detecting problems on drives in USB enclosures?

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Tue Jul 31 21:54:32 EDT 2007

Guys,

I have an enclosure and a number of drives in my office. I'm not sure which are good and which are bad, but there's a good one in there somewhere.

Is there a way from Linux (or...shudder...windows) to detect problems a la SMART or something else via a usb enclosure? I can manually swap them in/out in one of my machines, but I'm all out of slots and that'd would be an immense pain. Surely the popularity of enclosures and external drives has reaped tools?

Thanks!
John