[ale] Suse vs. Ubuntu. Is is worth the time to switch to ubuntu?

Steve Brown braino420 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 11:58:22 EDT 2007

On 7/31/07, Chuck Huber <chuck at cehuber.org> wrote:

>     o Updates are fairly easy - I mirror a suse site locally so I can
> install and update without having to traverse the relatively slow DSL.

I use Ubuntu, mainly because of apt. If you do decide to switch over, I
recommend you look into apt-proxy. Instead of setting up a full mirror, it
will cache the packages you download. The downside of doing this as apposed
to doing a full mirror is that you will get the DSL speeds that first time
you dl the package from a workstation. But hey, you don't have to spend a
few days downloading packages you won't ever use. I haven't checked, but
something similar for rpm's probably exists.

-Steve B