[ale] Suse vs. Ubuntu. Is is worth the time to switch to ubuntu?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 11:31:38 EDT 2007

As much as I dislike Ubuntu, I'm going to say all three of your
reasons for using SuSE are better with Ubuntu.

1) SuSE's network install is a real kludge compared to Debian's, and
in turn Ubuntu's.

2) Ubuntu is about as userfriendly as SuSE. A lot of things are
easier, administration wise, in SuSE due to Yast2. But Ubuntu is okay.

3) You will wonder why you ever thought updates in SuSE were so great.

I would not switch the servers if I were you. If you really want to
get away from SuSE because of the Microsoft deal, look at Debian for
the servers. It is my opinion that Ubuntu is too unstable for a server
simply because of it's nature. That is, it being a mishmash of the
stable, testing, and unstable branches from Debian. _Maybe_ that is
different now, but that is how it originated and operated for at least
a couple of releases. I also don't think the "no root account by
default" thing is appropriate for a server.

Personally, I use Arch Linux on my desktop and Debian (stable) on my server.

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/

CH:D 59