[ale] Q: How do I know whether I have a mkinitrd package installed?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Sun Jul 29 23:34:21 EDT 2007

On Sun 2007-07-29 22:37:51 -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-07-29 at 22:18 -0400, Hxsrmeng wrote:
>>   *How do I know whether I have a mkinitrd package installed?*
>
> At a prompt type:
> 	which mkinitrd

This will only check if you have an executable program named mkinitrd
in your current path, it won't check for the package.

on a debian-derived system (this includes the various flavors of
ubuntu), you can search for a package like this:

 dpkg -l | grep mkinitrd

"dpkg -l" lists all packages currently installed on the system, and
"grep mkinitrd" shows only those lines which match "mkinitrd".

> That will show you if mkinitrd exists, and it's location on the
> filesystem.

>> I didn't see any package, either installed or un-installed, named
>> mkinitrd in Synaptic Package Manager.
>
> Ubuntu?  If so, look for initramfs-tools rather than mkinitrd.

yes, modern debian-derived systems use initramfs-tools instead of the
older initrd-tools package (which included mkinitrd, iirc).  You can
read up on the nuances of the transition (and the distinction between
different flavors of tools which provide mkinitramfs) here, if you
like:

 http://wiki.debian.org/InitrdReplacementOptions

hth,

        --dkg