[ale] using a Bluetooth dongle

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Sat Jul 28 00:59:17 EDT 2007

David Tomaschik wrote:
> Jim Philips wrote:
>> I bought a cheap Bluetoot dongle at Fry's a couple of weks ago. So
>> far, I have a hard time figuring out what you can do with it. I get a
>> netofication in both Gnome and KDE when the dongle is plugged in to
>> the USB drive. But other than that, I have no idea how to access it or
>> do anything with it. Does anybody have eny experience here? The device
>> is recognized by the kernel:
>>
>> rebus at rebus:~$ /usr/sbin/lsusb
>> Bus 003 Device 004: ID 1131:1001 Integrated System Solution Corp.
>> KY-BT100 Bluetooth Adapter
>>
>> But beyond that, I see no way to do *anything* with it. Google
>> searches weren't a lot of help. I'm running Kubuntu 7.04 with the
>> 2.6.20 kernel.

I recently acquired a phone and laptop with bluetooth. Take a look at
/etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf. You'll probably want to change security to
auto and change the passkey. I then paired my phone with my laptop and
used gnome bluetooth to send files from my phone to the laptop.

Here are screenshots of some of the things you can do with KDE's
bluetooth framework.

http://kde-bluetooth.sourceforge.net/screenshots/index.html

-Brian