[ale] A petabyte here, a petabyte there ...

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 17:17:43 EDT 2007

I've had 2 different client conversations in the last 2 days.

All I can say is "A petabyte here, a petabyte there, and pretty soon
you're talking real data".

Seriously, one claimed to have 3 PB of unstructured data (office
files, logs, etc.).  The other one was smaller.  They only had 1 PB of
unstructured data.

I admit to being a little taken aback, especially the first time.  I
guess it is time to add exabyte to my repertoire.  That way I can say,

"Oh.., only .1% of a Exabyte, sure our solution can handle that with
no problem. (cough, cough) I was afraid you would need something
large."

Are others starting to see numbers like that at the large Enterprise
level?  (Both of these companies had multiple NAS units at multiple
sites.  I think the biggest single NAS I heard of is 200TB so far.  I
really had gotten away from these huge systems for while.  I guess I
need a refresher about what's happening out there in the "enterprise
world".)

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer