[ale] Umask by directory?

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Thu Jul 26 16:44:30 EDT 2007

'lo guys....long time, no post ;)

Anyone know of a way to configure a umask on a per directory basis?

In other words, I'd like to have my users create files normally as 744, hence a umask of 0022. However, in a certain directory shared by the group, I'd like files to be created with 774, so that the group can write to them without having to manually chmod them.

setgid on the directory gets my half way there, in that files in the directory are always set to be owned by the group. However, my users' default umasks (0022) are still used, so the group can only read those files, no write.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
John