[ale] OT: Alpharetta Power

Bob Toxen transam at verysecurelinux.com
Tue Jul 17 21:31:31 EDT 2007

I assume that you have a decent UPS there with non-dead batteries that
can supply power for 5-10 minutes.

If you still have had 10 power outages in the past week of over 5-10
minutes, something is defective.

If I were your friend, I'd call GA NoPower and ask to speak to a
supervisor and:

   1. Insist on the truth regarding the failures.  It has not been
      unusually hot in the past week.

   2. Tell them if they will not propose an acceptable solution you will
      file a complaint with the Public Utilities Commission and ask the
      AJC to investigate.

If that doesn't fix it, replace the UPS batteries if they're older than
2-3 years.  Otherwise get a UPS that can run for a longer time.

When I lived in Alpharetta 13 years ago or so power was very stable but
there has been lots of construction that both taxes the lines and causes
interrupts when they attach new buildings to the grid.

I now have a generator that I can activate before my UPS devices run
down.  (As soon as I find my $10 relay from Frys, the switchover will
be automatic as soon as I start my generator.  I just ran a permanent
cable from my generator to my lab this weekend.)

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]
Quality spam and virus filters.