[ale] apache2 Proxypass

Chris Woodfield rekoil at semihuman.com
Tue Jul 17 12:19:30 EDT 2007

Hi all...pardon my lack of apache-fu...

I've set up some ProxyPass directives on my apache2 server to
redirect a URL on my public webserver to the (hacked) web interface
on my tivo box behind it on the NAT network. So far everything seems
to work, almost...

The remaining niggling issue is that in order for the proxy
passthrough to be successful, I have to remember the trailing slash
on the URL. So far I haven't figured out how to get around that at
all, either. When I enter "http://www.semihuman.com/tivo/" into the
URL from the outside, I get the tivo web interface. When I enter
"http://www.semihuman.com/tivo", I get a 404.

Below is the content of the directives (which sits in a site file
under /etc/apache2/sites-available):

<Proxy *>
Order deny,allow
Allow from all
</Proxy>

ProxyRequests           Off
ProxyPass               /tivo/  http://tivo1.semihuman.com/
ProxyHTMLURLMap         http://tivo1.semihuman.com      /tivo

<Location /tivo/>
         ProxyPassReverse        /
         SetOutputFilter         proxy-html
         ProxyHTMLURLMap         /       /tivo/
         ProxyHTMLURLMap         /tivo   /tivo
         RequestHeader           unset   Accept-Encoding
</Location>

Now, I've tried changing the ProxyPass line from /tivo/ to /tivo, but
when I do that the URL without the slash comes up but none of the
links work (they map to http://www.semihuman.com/<file>, not http://
www.semihuman.com/tivo/<file>) Everything still works properly when I
add the slash to the URL.

Any ideas of how to make this work?