[ale] Notebook Recommendations?

Michael B. Trausch michael.trausch at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 01:06:22 EDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-15 at 21:36 -0400, David Tomaschik wrote:

> I'm currently looking for a new notebook computer, but as a college
> student, I'm trying to keep costs down.  I'm probably going to
> dual-boot
> it for a few Windows apps, but it'll mostly run Ubuntu.  My current
> notebook is a 9.5 lb behemoth, and at times, it and a few books in my
> Targus backpack can kill my back, so I'm looking for something a
> little
> lighter.  Basically I'm looking to find the price/power/weight
> sweetspot.  Anyone have any recommendations on brands/models?  I'd
> like
> to stick to around $1000, if possible.  I'd actually been looking at
> an
> Apple which could tri-boot with bootcamp, but that has a large "brand
> name tax" with it.

I have had very good luck with Toshiba laptops, readily available from
Wal*Mart.  Every one that I have used with Ubuntu has been fully
supported, out-of-the-box (including wireless networking and video).  My
present model is the Toshiba Satellite A55-S1064, if you're interested
in knowing.

    --- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                                Web:
           michael.trausch at gmail.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!
Support free speech---it is the most valuable freedom we have!