[ale] A "high quality" domain name registration?

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Fri Jul 13 11:48:26 EDT 2007

We use Network Solutions as our provider of choice.  The one thing I
would say about GoDaddy is that it might be considered "sexist" based on
its web site so for a professional environment might get you in trouble
if you had a woman having to interact with it.

Most of them are fairly expensive to give up domains from - we have many
due to the fact we own various sub-brands that at one time had their own
registrations.   I never had much issue with Network Solutions support
except they try not to tell you anything unless you can prove who you
are but ideally they would all do that.  Their web site is fairly
straight forward for most purposes - the only knock I had was that they
didn't clearly delineate between registering your DNS servers there as
opposed to using those DNS servers for the domains you are registering.
I was able to figure it out and support wasn't really sure.  Otherwise
I've seen no issue (except that www.dnsstuff.com says they are one of
the worst).

I've worked on:
Network Solutions
GoDaddy
Verio
Register.com

Probably others I've forgotten.  To me Verio was the strangest to manage
via web but it was doable.

One caution on using foreign registrars - some companies block entire
countries to reduce hack attempts so people might not be able to send
you email if they can't resolve the MX record on your foreign
registrar's DNS server because they block that country.   I recently saw
this with Samsung.com.  Turned out we were blocking Korea (North and
South) and even though we were sending to a U.S. person the DNS all goes
through their South Korean registrar so we couldn't pull up the MX
record to send the email.