[ale] partitioning

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Fri Jul 13 11:12:45 EDT 2007

On Friday 13 July 2007 10:33:35 am James Sumners wrote:
> I prefer "cfdisk". It's much easier to use. Or, you could use
> something like QtParted (http://qtparted.sourceforge.net/) if you want
> to create partitions with your mouse.

I just used cfdisk, and it showed my drive, and it showed the partition as
Linux ( not ext2 or ext3)
when I tried to mount it, I get an error:

Paulspc:/etc # mount -t ext3 /dev/sdf5 /media/backup
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdf5,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so

#dmesg | tail gives me this:

EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock
VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev sdf5.
VFS: Can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev sdf5.
so cfdisk shows it as a Linux partition, and cfdisk has no file system TYPE of
ext2/3

cfdisk /dev/sdf shows 2 partitions:
sdf1 Primary W95 FAT32 5Mb
sdf5 Logical Linux 500100Mb