[ale] OT: maybe, it is for Linux use

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Thu Jul 12 21:42:20 EDT 2007

Scott Castaline wrote:

> I'm looking for a new hdd and am torn between 2 500GB SATA 300s
> I have seen both at Newegg.com
>
> 1. Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA
> 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM for $109.99
>
> 2.  Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3500630AS
> 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $119.99

IMO Seagate is worth a few extra $$.  I used to always buy WD when
I was a poor student, but I've had a number of them fail.  I've
got a pair of Seagate 160GB drives in my fileserver; no problems
with them after, what, three-four years?

-- JK

> I've noticed that Seagate shows a couple of their specs (Access Time and
> Latency Time) but I can't seem to find these for WD, at least I haven't
> seen them on the WD site. Anyone have any info that they could share, or
> preferences. I've generally been a WD loyalist, but I have had a couple
> die prematurely for me recently. I've been leery of Seagate from the
> late 80's when I worked for them, and got to see some of the cr_p that
> went on at that time. But I am open to suggestion except for Maxtor. (I
> know, now Seagate). I might even consider other brands if one is
> persuasive enough.
>
> TIA

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be
dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens