[ale] proftpd, allow any anonymous userid

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Thu Jul 12 14:49:12 EDT 2007

I run an anonymous ftp server using proftpd.  Occasionally i see log
entries due to folks who misspell anonymous or use their own userid,
etc.  Frankly I don't care what id they use when accessing the system
and I'd like to find a way to allow proftpd to accept any userid (it's
an Anonymous setup anyways) and not prompt for any password (preventing
clients from possibly sending a password in plaintext).  Any ideas how
this can be achieved in proftpd?  And... if it is implemented just how
bad would the absence of a password prompt from the server screw up
clients?

Thx,

-Jim P.