[ale] PXE Boot from CD?

Michael B. Trausch michael.trausch at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 20:46:40 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-10 at 16:27 -0400, David Tomaschik wrote:

> I have an old (P2, IIRC) notebook computer with a dud hard drive
> that's
> just been sitting around.  While it's not that critical, I thought it
> would be fun to get it working (at least somewhat).  My thoughts were
> get it to PXE boot with NFS root off my home lan server (which has
> plenty of disk space).  Unfortunately, it has no integrated network,
> only a PCMCIA network card (obviously not directly bootable).  So I
> thought there might be a LiveCD of some sort available to allow PXE
> booting.  It seems fairly simple, but googling has found lots of
> people
> asking about it, but little in the way of direct answers.

What you seek is certainly possible.  The following sites have
information and disk images to use.  These are floppy images, so if you
want to boot from CD and floppy is not an option for you, just burn a
floppy-emulation boot CD with the proper floppy image.  I might
recommend using tiny, cheap discs since it would really be a waste of
650 MB.

http://grid-it.cnaf.infn.it/index.php?pxefloppy&type=1
http://www.etherboot.org/wiki/index.php

--
Michael B. Trausch
                                Web:
           michael.trausch at gmail.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!
Support free speech---it is the most valuable freedom we have!