[ale] Some days are worse than others

Marvin, International Martian of Mystery marvin.higginbottom at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 23:14:36 EDT 2007

Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> On Friday 06 July 2007 04:37, Joe Bayes wrote:
> | I don't like vi much either, but when I've got a sick system that
> | can't do emacs, vi beats the hell out of ed or cat.
>
> Understand that.  More than once I have had to rescue an ailing
> system from the Grub prompt.  At that point the only editor available
> is vi.  But I _really_ don't like it.
Ever tried typing "emacsnox"?  :-)   I don't particularly dislike vi, or
emacs for that matter.  I'll use either interchangeably.

> Algol 60.  The Fortran compiler was off limits.  The computer, a
> Burroughs 5500, occupied a space half the size of a football field;
> the tape drives were the size of refrigerators; the hard drives as
> big as washing machines.
I worked at NCR during that period, at the WSPC in Peachtree City.  All
that Iron eating all that power, and it'd all do less than the xpc under
my desk I'm running this email client on...

We had to chip out programs on stone tablets... ;-)