[ale] Was Re: DSL static IP; now Linksys WiFi/Routers

danverde danverde at comcast.net
Thu Jul 5 06:18:29 EDT 2007

On Wednesday 04 July 2007 11:11:13 pm Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> This reminds me.  I have a LinkSys WRT54G WAP/Router that I haven't even
> really used yet.  It's a v5.0, which apparently is a bad version to have
> if you want to use third-party firmware; I've seen at least one path
> forward for third-party firmware for the v5.0 but the installation seems
> very hairy, the software seems arcane enough that ongoing development
> and bugfixes don't seem likely, and a good many installation failure
> modes seem to result in a "bricked" router.
>
> That being said, how bad off would I be in using the WRT54G as-is as my
> Comcast cable Internet firewall and WAP?  I'm leery of home WAPs in
> general and I may even leave it disabled most of the time, but how
> unsafe is it for a cable Internet firewall?

I have been using a WRT54G v5 router with DD-WRT installed on it for about 6
months.  I have been quite pleased with it.  The original firmware didn't
support many things that DD-WRT does now.  It was a multi-step process to get
DD-WRT loaded but has been really worth the risk.  I think you would be safe
setting up a home WAP if you used the WPA2 encryption.

Dan