[ale] DSL static IP

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Wed Jul 4 19:46:40 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 19:10 -0400, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
> Jim Popovitch wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 13:33 -0400, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
> >> 	With BS/ATT not a whole lot... It's still not enough to get them to
> >> remove the 25/tcp port block to any server but their mail servers,
> >
> > 25/tcp is blocked on OUTBOUND, not inbound.  So... you CAN run your own
> > mail server.   Just setup postfix/exim/sendmail on your box to accept
> > inbound and use BS's upstream mail servers as your outbound "smart
> > host".
> >

> 	But why then is the point? I've found that their mail servers are very
> unreliable so the point of running my own mail server is to have a
> reliable one.

Please define unreliable in the context of a BellSouth mail server.

>  Instead I have a Xen VPS running Postfix and have it
> listening on several alternative ports that BS doesn't block outbound
> and thus avoid having to use them for anything but a lease line to the
> internet which is much easier for them to prove themselves reliable as I
> depend on them for far much less than the average user.

I can't speak for all mail systems, but mine (and I know of a few
others) won't talk to non-standard smtp ports.  Intentionally blocked by
iptables.

Also, the issue still remains that a sizable percentage of mail systems
will not accept, or silently drop, your emails since they originate from
a known dynamic IP pool.

I applaud your desire to run your own mailserver, and I hope you
maintain it well over time.

-Jim P.