[ale] DSL static IP

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy.bouse at undergrid.net
Wed Jul 4 15:47:46 EDT 2007

John Mills wrote:
> Paul -
>
> One option with minimal setup:
>
> OpenSSH on the remote linux (puTTY on remote Windows); openSSH/sshd on the
> home system. Open the incoming ssh port on the home system's firewall, and
> forward that port through your LAN router (if any) to the home system.
>
> Depending on your connection, you can run VNC servers on your account on
> the home system and connect to them with Lin or Win clients (or from a
> system with an X-server, export the X link directly back on the SSH
> connection).
>
> I even found a decent MacOS-8.6 text-mode client, but you probably don't
> need/want that!
>
> My company uses openVPN, and that seems to work fine, with X sessions
> exported as VNC. I expect openVPN requires a bit of configuring and
> administration but I really don't know. (FUD, in other words.)
>
>  - Mills
>
> On Wed, 4 Jul 2007, Paul Cartwright wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 04 July 2007 01:33:28 pm Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
>>>         With BS/ATT not a whole lot... It's still not enough to get them to
>>> remove the 25/tcp port block to any server but their mail servers, for
>>> that you have to go with a business class connection. Chances are you
>>> might be able to run a web server; however, I suspect they'd frown on
>>> that once they noticed. About all I use my static IP for is to make a
>>> VPN endpoint back to my network.
>> I used to use a VPN connection, way back in my "real" work days, but that was
>> just a client connection from a Win98 laptop.
>> What would I need to make that work from my laptop ( XP or Kubuntu) back to my
>> home system, opensuse 10.2 ?

	Passing SSH (22/tcp) through to your machine behind the firewall is one
option. OpenVPN isn't that hard to setup and manage and can be
configured for most all OSes to connect to it. OpenVPN also has the
added bonus of running over a configurable UDP port so you can change it
if the decide to block it later.